Monday, February 16, 2009

Teacher Devotions: Stupid Button

Hebrews 4:16 Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

I wasn’t a very nice person when I was a drunk. In fact, I was more likely to get me and my friends in trouble through the stupid things that I would say or do. One minute everything in the pub could be fine and dandy; the very next minute, I would cause a disagreement with someone at the bar, or a waitress, and we’d end up getting thrown out.

I also got myself into some hair-raising moments and difficult situations that I would have avoided like the plague had I been sober. It was as if the alcohol within me reached a level that automatically pushed my stupid button and I would end up in the wrong company, at the wrong time. I can remember being holed up with a notorious Glasgow street gang for three days and nights. Most of them wasted their own lives and have spent years in jail for burglary, armed robbery, and even murder.

I shudder when I look back and think about those foolish times. And then I remember God’s grace and how He helped me through those events. Without His mercy, I would either be in prison or possibly dead. With Christ’s love, I am now free and abundantly alive.

Perhaps you’re struggling right now with your own foolishness or mistakes. Maybe you’ve found yourself in a regrettable situation that is now beyond your control. I don’t know what brought you into that predicament, but I do know Who has sufficient grace, mercy, and love to rescue and redeem you. Just approach God’s throne with confidence and you will receive mercy and find grace to help you in your time of need.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, You seek to help us even when we don’t deserve Your mercy or grace. You know the foolish things that we say or do, the miserable mistakes that we make, or the upsets and issues that we create. Forgive our stupidity and replace it with spirituality. Have mercy upon us and grant us the gracious help that we need. In Your Holy Name, we humbly pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment on today’s message, please send him an email to pastor@erinpresbyterian.org.


No comments:

Post a Comment