Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Teacher devotions: Knowing - Isaiah 40:14

Today’s Bible readings are Isaiah 40:12-17 and Matthew 19:13-15

Isaiah 40:14    Whom did the LORD consult to enlighten Him, and who taught Him the right way? Who was it that taught Him knowledge or showed Him the path of understanding?

I have a simple mantra for my life: God knows what He is doing. As far as I can remember, even in my bleakest of moments, God has always been in control. I’ve suffered from addiction and heartaches; I’ve experienced the death of loved ones and tragedies; I’ve known what it’s like to be hungry and poor, cast aside and ignored. And yet through all of that, God has always known what is best for me.

My approach to the Bible is just as simple: God knows what He has accomplished. And if God says that Jesus is His beloved Son, I simply believe it. And if Jesus says that God can only be known through Him, I simply accept it. God knows everything, so therefore when God sent His Son into the world to die for us, God knew that this was the best possible way to restore us to Him forever.

I don’t question God. I don’t question Jesus. I simply believe and totally accept all that God did through Christ. If someone were to ask me, “How can I live forever”, I will simply say, “Believe in Jesus Christ.” If  I am asked, “Is there life after death”, I will say, “Of course, through Jesus alone.” And if someone were inquire, “Is Jesus the only way to salvation”, I would have to answer, “Yes, because God knew what needed to be done and Jesus was the only person who ever accomplished it completely.”

God knows everything; the question we have to ask ourselves is this: are we willing to trust Him and simply accept what He did through Jesus?

Prayer:                        Lord Jesus, You are the Savior of our souls because You alone completed all that God expected You to do on Earth. You fulfilled the mission that God knew was necessary to restore humanity forever. We praise You for being our Advocate, our Redeemer, and King. In Your Holy Name, we pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment on today’s message, please send him an email to pastor@erinpresbyterian.org.

Today’s image is John’s latest Psalm drawing for children. It’s from Psalm 112 and you can view a larger version at the following link: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7035/6651134643_e5a34e5fe7_b.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment