Monday, November 29, 2010

Teacher Devotions: Faith Works - Galatians 3:11

Galatians 3:11            Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith." 

I love being a New Testament person. Christianity offers hope to a world that constantly ruins its relationship with God. Our faith in Jesus justifies us before God and we are saved through the sacrificial acts of Christ.

Before I became a Christian, I rejected God entirely. I wanted to live life in my own way and do everything I desired. Everything that helped me get what I wanted was deemed ‘good’ by me; anything that hindered my desires being fulfilled was ‘bad’ in my books. I was a very selfish, self-centered person. I lived for myself and couldn’t care less about the world.

But the more that I did what I wanted, the less appealing life became. Filling myself with alcohol emptied my soul. I was lost to God, my family, and my friends. I was so self-centered that I wanted to commit suicide and be done with life. A dark shadow engulfed by spirit and I became bitter.

And then Jesus came into my life and I discovered a new joy, a better way, and a hunger for God. Instead of being controlled by alcohol, I surrendered my heart to Christ. Instead of being bitter, my life became better. And instead of heading down a dark spiritual alley which would lead to suffering, death, loneliness and hell, I began walking on a new path which would lead to salvation, redemption, life and heaven.
Perhaps you are going through a rough time or you have recently made foolish decisions that have negatively impacted your life. Maybe you feel lost and alone, overwhelmed and unloved. It sounds trite and naïve, clichéd and unreal, but from my experience the act of truly giving your heart to Jesus changes things for the better and reveals a new, hopeful and better path for your life.

I invite you then, to become a New Testament person, to be forgiven of the past, supported through the present, and restored to a future everlasting relationship with God.

Prayer:                        Lord Jesus, we are reclaimed for God through Your sacrifice. You alone in the entire universe have the authority to forgive our sins and restore us to God’s favor and love. Help us to share this message of gladness and joy with our families, our friends, our neighbors and colleagues. In Your Holy Name, we pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment on today’s passage, please send him an email to pastor@erinpresbyterian.org.

Today’s drawing is one of John’s latest 2010 winter pictures. It’s called Snowy Church and you can view a larger version at the following link:

No comments:

Post a Comment