Thursday, November 4, 2010

Teacher Devotions: The Problem with Phinehas - Psalm 106

Psalm 106:30-31        But Phinehas stood up and intervened, and the plague was checked.
 This was credited to him as righteousness for endless generations to come.

At first glance, it looks like Phinehas is a mighty hero in the annals of Hebrew history. After all, his loyalty to God is commemorated in a psalm written centuries later after the event which put him in the psalmist’s Hall of Fame.

But what exactly did Phinehas do to achieve this glorious status from God? He killed a man and a woman in their own tent with a spear. You can read the gory story in Numbers 25. It reads more like a scene from a horror movie rather than a mighty act for God.

Sometimes the Old Testament scares the heebie-jeebies out of me. If God is so angry, violent, and wrathful, what chance do I have of surviving His judgment after I die? I have sinned so many times and offended Him with my sinful words and ways that I fully deserve His wrath. What hope do I, as an unholy person, have against a Holy God?

None, except for the fact that I am a New Testament person, who wholly depends upon Jesus Christ to save me. Without Him, I am bound for Hell. With Him, I am restored to Heaven.

If you truly give your heart to Jesus, you can also experience the same.

Prayer:                        Lord Jesus, save us from ourselves, our sins, and God’s wrath. Forgive our fallen and unfaithful ways. Redeem us by Your blood and restore us to God’s everlasting favor. In Your Holy Name, we earnestly pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment on today’s message, please send him an email to pastor@erinpresbyterian.org.

Today’s image is John’s latest Fall drawing called “Autumn Mill.” It depicts an old Appalachian Grist Mill surrounded by the colors of Fall. A limited number of signed prints are available from John. If you would like to view a larger version of the drawing, please click on the following link: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1247/5117638642_806c993f72_b.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment