Monday, March 14, 2011

Teacher Devotion: Memory Surfing - Proverbs 4

Proverbs 4:13             Hold on to instruction, do not let it go; guard it well, for it is your life.

Yesterday evening, when I was channel surfing the television, I came across one of my favorite musical movies. It was “My Fair Lady,” starring Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn. They just don’t make movies like that anymore.

As I watched entranced by the ghosts on the screen, I started to quietly weep. It wasn't the story that was affecting me; it wasn't even the beautiful songs and music. It was something that I had forgotten from long ago.

You see, I can practically sing all of the words of “My Fair Lady.” When it was first released, my Mum and Dad went to see it. Soon after this, Dad bought the vinyl album of the musical and each evening for a couple of months, he played it again and again.

I closed my eyes last night and listened to the songs. As I did this, I was transported back to my home in Glasgow and I could picture my Dad pouring over massive engineering blueprints on his desk. As he looked at the drawings, he listened to the musical. My mother was sitting across from him, either reading a book or knitting a cardigan. My siblings were playing on the floor with toys or coloring with crayons. The room was warm and peaceful. As I re-experienced that beautiful moment, I wept. It was wonderful to go there again.

The wise writer of Proverbs talks about holding on to instruction because it is our life. Precious times are Life’s lessons that teach us about the sacredness of simple things. That forgotten memory is priceless to me because a large part of who I am today was borne out of those past experiences. Growing up may not have been easy and there was some pain and bitterness, but the beauty of just ‘being there and being here’ still teaches and affects me. I weep not for woe, but for the wonder of Life itself.

Prayer:                        Lord Jesus, life is precious and we each are part of a grand journey of personal experiences, wonders, and precious moments. We applaud and adore God for allowing us to live, to laugh, to sing, to weep, and to love. In Your Holy Name, we thankfully pray. Amen.

John Stuart is currently the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment or ask questions of today’s message, please send him an email to pastor@erinpresbyterian.org.

Today’s image is one of John’s latest Psalm drawings. It depicts a verse from Psalm 104 which is an ancient song about the wonder of God’s creativity and providence. If you would like to view a larger version of the image, please click on the following link:

John’s Psalms art project can also be viewed as a slideshow at the following internet location:


No comments:

Post a Comment