Monday, March 21, 2011

Teacher Devotions: Love and Hardship - 2 Timothy 2

2 Timothy 2: 3 Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus.

There’s a new book out that I’m reading which has created a lot of controversy in the Christian media. It’s written by Rob Bell and is called “Love Wins.”  I must admit, I had never heard of Rob Bell until I saw his name appear on some Christian websites and blogs that I read on a regular basis. The writers were very scathing about this pastor and were condemning him for being a universalist (someone who believes that everyone gets into heaven, no matter what they do or believe).

Rather than rush into a decision, which was hard for me, I decided to read the book. I downloaded it to my Kindle and started it last week. Sadly, right from the very start, Pastor Bell seems to be going in the wrong direction. I guess I’ll only know where he ends up once I complete the book.

One of the problems that Bell’s book raises for me is that old issue of “I’m OK; you’re OK.” I’ve come across this several times in different books like Eckhart Tolle’s New Earth and William Young’s “The Shack.” Hardship and conflict are to be avoided by respecting everybody’s beliefs and not criticizing their understanding of God. We are all meant to get on together, loving one another unconditionally and creating harmony by not upsetting one another. Unfortunately, this is a cultural denial of what actually exists and a path which leads to spiritual oblivion. As Jesus Himself put it so succinctly – it’s a case of the blind leading the blind into a ditch.

Christianity is a hardship when it’s lived out properly. There are no short cuts to peace nor avoidance of conflicting issues. In fact, Christ’s teaching did not bring about harmony for Himself, but ended up putting Him on a painful and shameful Cross.

As we continue our journey though Lent, we should become aware of the fact that truly following Jesus will bring us into conflict with our culture, society, and civilization many times. The challenging questions for us today are these: which side of the conflict am I on? How much hardship am I willing to accept? Am I ready to surrender myself to Christ, or am I only too willing to appease my peers?

Prayer:                        Lord Jesus, being one of Your followers is never easy. The path to heaven is littered with many false trails and dead ends. Only You are the True Way to salvation. Only You have the right and the power and the authority to forgive our mistakes and restore us to God’s Love. Keep us focused upon Your Teachings and help us to endure the hardship of being unpopular to the rest of the world. In Your Holy Name, we pray. Amen.

John Stuart is currently the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment or ask questions of today’s message, please send him an email to pastor@erinpresbyterian.org.

Today’s image is another of John’s digital glass representations of the Psalms. It’s based upon a verse from Psalm 105. If you would like to view a larger version, please visit the following link: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5019/5539089558_b31c75e062_b.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment